Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Skunked!! (But I am not complaining....)


Annie --- look at all the fur!
But we love her....even when she gets skunked!

OK -- remember that last post? Just yesterday morning? About how lucky I am and how I won't be complaining any more......?

Fast forward to last night. Long day at work --- client meeting --- then delivered a chair to BU college student (he bought it from me on CraigsList and had no transportation.....) By the time I got on the Pike headed towards home it was 7:45. Cell phone rings and it is Timmy, who tells me he needs to go to ACMoore to get posterboard for a project -- due tomorrow. Grrr. "And - oh, by the way, Annie got sprayed by a skunk. Ha ha ha. Isn't that funny?"

Hilarious to a 13-year old. Not so funny to me.

Bless Frieda -- she took Tim out to ACMoore and went to PetCo in search of something to wash away skunk smell. No luck -- PetCo and PetSmart are both sold out. We are stuck with baby shampoo and tomato juice. One woman at the pet store tells Frieda that she had good luck with three baths --- shampoo, tomato juice (leave it on for several minutes), then shampoo again.

We will try this (while the kids finish their homework and peek through the windows...) Frieda and I on the porch with a very very smelly (nauseating), large (80 lb), long haired (beautiful double coated sheperd mix.....lots of hair...) dog who does NOT want to be washed. Annie is NOT happy.

Water (cold from a hose).....shampoo.......!!SHAKE!!! .....more scrubbing........!!!SHAKE!!! ....more water (cold!) and scrubbing.......!!SHAKE!!.......tomato juice -- pour and scrub .........(looks like blood running all over the deck.....)......wait and wait and wait.....!!SHAKE!!.......(now I am covered in tomato juice).....rinse.......shampoo.........scrub....!!SHAKE!!.....and rinse, rinse, rinse....... !!SHAKE! ! Finally dry off with towels.....

Annie still smells, but it is much better. We can let her into the house to sleep. Frieda and I are covered in tomato juice, soapsuds, and water.........oh, and some skunk oil. My hands smell.

I hear it takes about two weeks for the smell to dissipate.

But I am still not complaining. LOL

No comments: